Thursday

Tire Garden

So, I have no car, but I still have a driveway. It is is not paved and gets full sun, the perfect place for a garden. Since it has several feet of imbeded gravel, preventing any hope of taking a shovel to it, I thought it would be tre cool -and a shade- ironic to convert the driveway into a garden using old tires filled with soil and organic compost. With everything els going on in my life I am off to a slow start with this project, but I have been ferrying abandoned tires home as I find them, piecemeal, and hope to have it all set up by Spring. For now I have a nice little crop of spinach in the first tire.

4 comments:

Trista said...

I think that's really cool! Way to go!

westwind said...

thanks. The funniest part so far has been bringing home two big tires, straped to either side of the Xtracycle frame: people were snapping photos on their camera phones as I peddled by! I loved the ironey of tires for a garden where once there was a car. The spinich is much more attractive than the old beater that used to be there.

Anonymous said...

Awesome idea, and good symbolism, too, if you ask me. Dad used to do that with tomatoes.

Anonymous said...

Love it! :] If you were to cut out the upper sidewall, you'd get a lot more growing space and rootmasses would be easier to remove... I've been doing this with my new vege garden. Tractor front tyres are even better (more scope for companion planting), but harder to find