Friday

The Boy and I ventured out for a short, leasurly ride: the first since I got the news that I may have a torn ligament.
Not riding had all but eliminated my will live, so I checked with my doc and got the go ahead to ride ~as long as doing so didnt hurt. Walking sometimes hurts, so I'm not sure how relavent that limit is, but I took it under advisment.
The ride went well, and was almost essentially pain free. I wonder, if I just wear the brace for the rest of my life, and Ice daily, if I can forget this surgery nonsense?
I have been taking mega doses of Glucosamine, MSM, Chondroitin, Cod Liver Oil and Vitamin E while waiting to schedule my MRI, as well as working with an herbalist, a Reiki preactitioner, and anybod els I can find. And hoping for the best.

3 comments:

that dave said...

sending you all the best. i'm glad your back out on the bike. these things can take long to heal so be patient - getting back on the bike will probably help with that. perhaps try to stay in the easy gears as often as possible.

good luck.

steve said...

In case it helps, here's a complete list of what's in the stuff I'm taking:

Tablets:
Glucosamine Sulphate (333mg)
Dicalcium Phosphate
Methyl Sulfonyl Methane/MSM (133mg)
Chondoitin Sulphate (100mg)
Cellulose
Bromelain (66mg)
Ascorbic Acid/Vit C (35mg/58% RDA)
Papain (16mg)
Zinc Citrate (11mg/22% RDA)
Magnesium Stearate
Silica
Niacin/Vit B3 (3mg/16% RDA)
Curcumin Extract 10:1 (3mg)
Copper Gluconate (2.5mg)
Pantothenic Acid/Vit B5 (2mg/30% RDA)

Capsules:
Omega 3 fish oil (500mg - 33% EPA and 22% DHA)
Gelatin
Glycerol
Vit E (4mg / 40% RDA)

The dosages given on the packaging are 2 capsules and 3 tablets a day for "maintenance", or 4 capsules and 6 tablets a day for recovery after surgery or periods of hard training.

I had pretty severe cravings for Marmite, which is extremely high in folic acid, thiamin, niacin, riboflavin and vitamin b12. It's a bit of an acquired taste, though! I was drinking mugs of it (a teaspoon of the stuff dissolved in hot water) as well as putting it on cheese/ cucumber/ mayonnaise/ lettuce sandwiches.

As Dave said, spinning in the low gears is good - it definitely helped me. Good to hear you're getting a bit more pain free, hopefully some of this information dump has something useful in it for you!

westwind said...

Thanks guys, I really appreciate all the support and helpful information! Cycling really does seem to be helpful, and after all: I worked damn hard for these muscles, I don't want to loose them now. I resent keeping to the flat routes and low gears, but thats what seems to work at the moment

Steve, the supplement you mention seems to be very similar to the one I am taking, I really appreciate the tip, they seem to be helping a lot!